Sunday, July 26, 2015

Thing 2: Photo Fun

Unfortunately, this thing wasn't as much fun as I had hoped. I chose Google+ to download a few photos from our recent vacation in Canada.  I tried this platform because I'm familiar with other google functions and it made sense to learn a bit more.  Well, choosing the photos and downloading them wasn't a problem.  But when it came to transferring them to my blog, I was stuck.  It then became an exercise in frustration.  In the end, few good "things" did come out of it.  I explored every possible link associated with Google+ and Blogger and learned many of their capabilities! Thank you, Polly, for figuring it out.


Now for some practical ideas and thoughts for using digital photography in the library.  For Children's book week or National Library week, I always wanted to do a bulletin board with photos of all faculty and staff reading their favorite children's book.  What a great project for library club students! I could also post them to my library website or to the OPAC bulletin board.  It seems like using digital photography has a lot of possibilities and it got me wondering...do libraries or schools have classroom sets of digital cameras?  Is there grant money out there for such a purchase? How much would this cost?  I hope you"ll leave a comment about this.  


3 comments:

  1. Hooray! It worked. I learned a lot too, so thanks for asking the question about this. Crazy confusing Google! Cute photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My library has a few digital cameras, but mostly we use my 2 school-issued iPads to take photos in the library. I know that classroom teachers use either their own phones or classroom iPads for photos. I use Google Photos so that they are then available on my desktop machine for printing.

    I plan to use photos with 2nd grade students as part of a unit on our community--they will go on a walking field trip and snap pictures. We can then use Google Trip Builder or another mapping app to add them to a map of the town. Fun stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun idea about the walking tour, Gail. Maybe also upload some photos to historypin? And Patricia, you might look into something like DonorsChoose to see if you could get funding for a couple of inexpensive tablets for photo taking and editing.

      Delete